The City of Cerritos posted an advisory on its website warning of increased sightings of Coyotes and encouraging residents to take precautions.
To avoid an encounter with a coyote, the city advises residents to do the following:
- Feed pets indoors
- Eliminate food and water sources, such as fallen fruit and standing water
- Keep yards free of thick brush and weeds
- Enclose the bottoms of porches and decks
- Keep dogs on a leash at all times when outdoors
- Keep small animals inside unless they are supervised.
The city noted that a fenced yard will not protect small animals, as coyotes can easily scale a residential fence. Domestic dogs are especially vulnerable to coyote attacks.
If you or your pets are approached by an aggressive or fearless coyote, the city suggests the following tactics:
Coyotes have seemingly lost their fear of humans, which may be a result of behavioral changes that have occurred over several generations of coyotes, the city advisory said.