With temperatures surpassing 100 degrees in much of the Southland, county officials reminded everyone that precautions should be taken, especially by those sensitive to the extreme heat.
“While people don’t need to be told it’s hot outside, they do need to be reminded to take care of themselves, children, the elderly, and pets when the weather gets hotter,” said Jonathan E. Fielding, MD, MPH, Director of Public Health and Health Officer.
“When temperatures are high, prolonged sun exposure may cause dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. Never leave children, elderly people, or pets unattended in vehicles, even with the windows ‘cracked or opened,’ because temperatures inside can quickly rise to life-threatening levels. It is illegal, according to California law, to leave children alone in a car,” Fielding added.
Cooling Centers for Cerritos-Artesia and Surrounding Area Residents
To accommodate county residents, cooling centers are available to help escape the heat.
The closest cooling centers for Cerritos and Artesia locals include:
- , 18722 Clarkdale Ave., Artesia, CA 90701, (562) 865-6614. Open Tue – Thur (10 am – 8 pm), Sat (8 am – 6 pm).
- Angelo M. Iacoboni Library, 4990 Clark Ave., Lakewood, CA 90712, (562) 866-1777. Open Tue – Thur (10 am – 8 pm), Fri – Sat (8 am – 6 pm).
- George Nye Jr. Library, 6600 Del Amo Blvd., Lakewood, CA 90713, (562) 421-8497. Open Tue – Thur (10 am – 8 pm), Fri – Sat (8 am – 6 pm).
- Hawaiian Gardens Library, 11940 Carson St., Hawaiian Gardens, CA 90716, (562) 496-1212. Open Tue – Thur (10 am – 8 pm), Sat (8 am – 6 pm).
- Norwalk Senior Center, 14040 San Antonio Dr, Norwalk, CA 90650, (562) 929-5580. Open Mon –Fri (8 am - 7 pm), Sat (8 am - 5 pm).
It is suggested that if you are planning to visit one of the cooling centers, that you call in advance to make sure there is still seating available. You can also call “211” for information on a center closest to you. For a list of additional centers, click here.
Other Great "Cooling" Area Options in Cerritos
Though not designated as a county cooling center, the is also a great place to help cool off with great resources and plenty to read while you escape the heat.
Local residents can also escape warm temperatures with a trip to , where plentiful shopping, the movie theater, and lots of dining options are sure to keep you cool and busy.