You may have noticed sniffling noses, plenty of coughing and lots of lethargic looking faces lately. Well the cold and flu season is definitely upon us and being sick is one of the quickest ways to put a damper on the start of your week.
So if you happen to be one of many folks feeling under the weather lately, here are some easy home remedies, nasal-decongestant soups, and 24-hour drugstores that can help you navigate through the flu or a cold.
Quick and Easy Home Remedies
Sometimes a quick and easy home remedy can be our saving grace when we are feeling under the weather. Try these three simple solutions to subdue your sickness:
Warm Salt Water
- A warm saltwater gargle can help ease a sore throat and even possibly prevent a full-blown case of the cold or flu. Simply dissolve 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon in a glass of warm water. One mouthful at a time, gargle the warm mixture to cleanse your throat and cross your fingers in hopes of not getting sick.
Hot or Cold Packs
- If your sinuses are stuffed, you can use hot or cold packs to make you feel a little more comfortable. Either temperature can help relieve some of the pressure you feel when applied to your face. Reusable hot or cold packs work great, but if you don't have any on hand you can simply make your own: microwave some water and combine it with a washcloth to make a hot compress or use a frozen pack of peas for your cold pack.
Drink Some Fluids, Avoid Others
- Fluids are essential for the sick, but some fluids can actually make matters worse. Water, natural juices, and lemon juice with honey are great ways to rehydrate. Drinks that are high in sugar or caffeine can actually dehydrate you, so avoid coffee, alcohol, caffeinated soda.
Soup to Save You from Sickness
Whether it's a classic chicken noodle or a spicy soon dubu, soup is an age-old way to warm your body, comfort the soul, and kick your cold. Try these local soup solutions to comfort your sickness:
- This is a great place to pick-up all your standard "get well soon" soups: Chicken Noodle is offered daily, along with Broccoli Cheddar, French Onion, and Vegetarian Creamy Tomato. If you are looking for something a little more hearty, Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice is served on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and Clam Chowder (a personal favorite) is served on Friday. Don't forget the bread bowl! Check out their menu for other bakery treats or cafe dishes for some good ol' comfort food: Panera Menu
- If you are looking for a soup option that won't get you worried about counting calories, try Yojie's shabu shabu. With this interactive meal, individuals cook their soup frmo the comfort of their own seat. Each shabu shabu dish includes an assortment of vegetables, udon and harusame noodles, tofu, Japanese mushrooms, seaweed, and your choice of meat. The meal is also accompanied with a free refill of rice as well as Goma and Ponzu, signature shabu shabu dipping sauces. Yojie also offer a great variety of sukiyaki and Japanese barbecue. Refer to their menu for more details on these tasty meals and their great lunch specials: Yojie Menu
- Want a spicy kick to clear our your sinuses? BCD's soon dubu soup is offered in three levels of spicy (mild, medium, and very), so it can be a spicy treat for anyone no matter how much heat you can (or cannot) handle. Soon dubu is a hot and spicy Korean stew that includes Korean chili powder, tofu, vegetables, mushrooms, onions, scallions, and your choice of meat or seafood. The soup is served boiling hot in a cast-iron bowl and is so warm that each bowl is served with a fresh egg for the customer to break over the bowl so that the soup can cook the egg. Each entrée is served with a bowl of rice and a variety of Korean side dishes. Check out the rest of the menu and plan your meal ahead: BCD Tofu House Menu
If the clock strikes 3 a.m. and your cold of flu still has you unhappily awake, these local 24-hour drugstores can come to your rescue:
- , 11800 Artesia Blvd, Artesia, CA 90701. Store Hours: Open 24 Hours. Pharmacy Hours: M–F: 8am-9pm, Sat: 9am-6pm, Sun: 10am-6pm
- CVS, 11623 East Rosecrans Blvd, Norwalk, CA 90650. Store Hours: Open 24 Hours. Pharmacy Hours: Open 24 Hours
- Walmart, 7250 Carson Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90808. Store Hours: Open 24 Hours. Pharmacy Hours: M-F: 9am-9pm, Sat:9am-7pm, Sun:10am-6pm
Use this guide to kick off your cold and get well soon!