After the prosecution announced it was unable to proceed, a judge today dismissed the case against a Norwalk man who was arrested last year for allegedly drugging and sexually assaulting a babysitter.
Kevin Eugene Cady, 54, had been awaiting trial on one count of sexual penetration by a foreign object when the District Attorney's Office announced it could not move forward with the case.
The alleged victim was "uncooperative and so we were unable to proceed with the case without her testimony," Deputy District Attorney Marlon Powers said.
Cady's attorney, Daniel H. Prepas, said his client -- a father of four -- has "maintained his innocence from day one."
"It's my position that this is basically the criminal justice system working in the way it should work," the defense lawyer said. "My client is just very anxious to move on with his life."
Cady was initially arrested in January 2012 after the 22-year-old woman he had hired through an online babysitting service contacted the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department to report the allegation that he had sexually assaulted her after giving her a drink that made her feel sleepy. He was re- arrested in connection with the same allegation in late February and charged March 2 before being released from jail on $100,000 bail.
- City News Service