With a noticable spike in cellphone thefts in Los Angeles County and throughout the nation, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has issued some tips intended to help reduce cellphone thefts.
- Use the security lock code or PIN to lock the information in your phone;
- Save the serial number;
- Don't store secrets in your phone;
- Activate the Global Positioning System in the cellphone. After-market software is available for purchase if the cellphone does not include one;
- Avoid distracted walking and talking because that's often when cellphones are stolen;
- Put the cellphone away in a place it is not visible when you are eating;
- If your phone is stolen, find another phone to use to report the theft to law enforcement;
- Be a good witness. If you see the suspect, don't try to get it back. Note the vehicle license, color and model and last known direction of travel.