Editor's Note: to read the update on this article, which includes details on the Aug. 2 arrest of suspect Sylvia Helen Garcia, 38, of Downey.
A serial bank robber dubbed the "Plain Jane" bandit has held up eight Southland banks over the span of the last few weeks with her most recent target being a
The latest heist occurred at 10:27 a.m. Tuesday, July 31 at the bank located at 11900 S. South St. in Cerritos, according to the FBI.
This incident was similar to previous bank robberies in which "Plain Jane," so named because of descriptions provided by witnesses, either slips a teller a note or verbally commands the employee to give her money, claiming she has an accomplice waiting for her.
After the suspect demand money in Tuesday's holdup, the teller handed her an undisclosed amount of cash, and the woman then fled, Lt. Richard Harpham of the told Patch.
"The suspect was last seen running westbound through the parking lot", Harpham added.
The FBI has released several surveillance images of the suspect from the various heists in hopes that someone can help authorities identify the woman. In one of the images from the Cerritos robbery, the suspect appears to be smiling at the teller. (See Patch image carousel for photo.)
Earlier this week, , said Laura Eimiller of the FBI.
* Keep up-to-date on all Cerritos-Artesia news, breaking news alerts and events by “liking” us on Facebook and following us on Twitter.
The suspect is described as Hispanic, 35 to 45 years old, between 5'3" and 5'5" and weighing 160 to 180 pounds. Authorities have released several surveillance images of the suspect in hopes of identifying the woman. ( to view several other images of the suspect.)
U.S. Bank officials have for the arrest and conviction of the suspect who has now been linked to the following holdups:
- 7/12/12: U.S. Bank, 13372 E. Telegraph Rd. in Santa Fe Springs
- 7/19/12: U.S. Bank, 13525 Whitter Blvd. in Whittier
- 7/23/12: Chase, 14425 Moreno Beach Blvd. in Moreno Valley
- 7/23/12: U.S. Bank, 12721 Moreno Beach Blvd. in Moreno Valley
- 7/24/12: U.S. Bank, 5470 Beach Blvd. in Buena Park
- 7/24/12: U.S. Bank, 23893 Clinton Keith Road in Wildomar
- 7/30/12: Bank of America, 10010 Paramount Blvd. in Downey
- 7/31/12: , 11900 South St. in Cerritos
Anyone with information about the suspect was urged to contact the FBI or the nearest police agency. Cerritos residents can also contact the Cerritos Sheriff's Station with information at (562) 860-0044.