Editor's Note: Updated at 1 p.m. with cause of smoke.
Dozens of people were evacuated from a Cerritos high rise Tuesday morning after the structure filled up with smoke as a result of a defective heater.
The incident at the Fremont College building, a 9-story business tower, located at 18000 Studebaker Road was reported at 9:42 a.m. Jan. 8, according to a Los Angeles County Fire dispatcher.
Fire crews arrived at the scene in less than five minutes and immediately evacuated the building, which had filled with smoke, the dispatcher said.
"They are currently venting the building," he said about 10:30 a.m. "There is no active fire at the moment, but there is still some smoke."
According to authorities at the scene, the motor from a heater on the 9th floor malfunctioned causing smoke, which was disbursed throughout the building through an exhuast fan.
No injuries were reported, the dispatcher added. People were allowed to re-enter the building shortly after 11 a.m.