A female bank robber whom authorities dubbed the "Plain Jane" bandit was arrested in Downey Thursday night in connection with eight Southland bank heists over the span of three weeks, including .
Sylvia Helen Garcia, 38, of Downey was taken into custody near her residence on the evening of Aug. 2 with assistance from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, said Laura Eimiller of the FBI.
At the time, Garcia was driving a silver vehicle that matched the description provided by witnesses to some of the bank heists, Eimiller said. Additional evidence allegedly tying Garcia to the robberies was also recovered during the arrest, she added.
Garcia is being held at the Lakewood Sheriff's Station and is expected to be charged Monday, Eimiller said.
Last month, the FBI began releasing in an effort to identify and locate the suspect. Eimiller said authorities were ultimately able to arrest the woman after receiving multiple tips from the public.
The suspect's latest heist occurred at 10:27 a.m. Tuesday, July 31 at located at 11900 S. South St. in Cerritos, according to the FBI.
This incident was similar to previous bank robberies in which "Plain Jane," so named because of descriptions provided by witnesses, either slips a teller a note or verbally commands the employee to give her money, claiming she has an accomplice waiting for her.
"Plain Jane" has been linked to the following holdups:
- 7/12/12: U.S. Bank, 13372 E. Telegraph Rd. in Santa Fe Springs
- 7/19/12: U.S. Bank, 13525 Whitter Blvd. in Whittier
- 7/23/12: Chase, 14425 Moreno Beach Blvd. in Moreno Valley
- 7/23/12: U.S. Bank, 12721 Moreno Beach Blvd. in Moreno Valley
- 7/24/12: U.S. Bank, 5470 Beach Blvd. in Buena Park
- 7/24/12: U.S. Bank, 23893 Clinton Keith Road in Wildomar
- 7/30/12: Bank of America, 10010 Paramount Blvd. in Downey (failed attempt)
- 7/31/12: , 11900 South St. in Cerritos